Lakewood Theatre Company
Auditions: The 39 Steps, March 22, 2014 - by appointment
Auditions for Patrick Barlow's comical adaptation of The 39 Steps, a fast-paced, often hilariously irreverent re-creation of Alfred Hitchcock's classic mystery thriller film, are by appointment on Saturday, March 22, 2014.
Location: Lakewood Theatre Company 368 S. State Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034. Call 503-635-3901 to schedule an appointment.
The 39 Steps is directed by Don Alder.
The director is seeking four actors to play nearly 150 roles. Needed: 1 woman (20s-30s) and 3 men (ages 20-50). Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to audition. All roles require English and/or European accents. All roles receive remuneration.
- Please bring a current headshot & resume.
- No prepared monologue is required. Auditions will consist of readings from the script. Callbacks, if needed, will be at the director's discretion.
- Bring your calendar and be prepared to list all conflicts. Conflicts not listed at time of audition may not be honored.
- The 39 Steps opens July 11, 2014 and continues through August 17, 2014. Performances are Thurs. – Sat. at 7:30 PM, some Sundays at 7:00 PM, some Sunday matinees at 2:00 PM and two Wednesday performances at 7:30 PM. Lakewood Theatre Company features an intimate 220-seat theatre located at Lakewood Center for the Arts, 368 S. State Street in Lake Oswego.
The story: A man with a boring life meets a woman with a thick accent who says she’s a spy. When he takes her home, she is murdered. Soon, a mysterious organization called “The 39 Steps” is hot on the man’s trail in a nationwide manhunt that climaxes in a death-defying finale! A riotous blend of virtuoso performances and wildly inventive stagecraft.
It is the winner of 2 Tony and Drama Desk Awards in 2008 and winner of Best New Comedy - Laurence Olivier Award in 2007. The play, adapted by Patrick Barlow, is based on the John Buchan novel and the Alfred Hitchcock movie of the same name.
Breakdown of Roles:
Please note: All roles are open and all receive remuneration.
- RICHARD HANNAY: (age range 30-40, all ethnicities) The daring and dashing leading man of the show; charming, innocent, and charismatic. He is entangled in the adventure of a lifetime, as he becomes a fugitive on the run to save his own life and foil the spy ring that is trying to silence him. Must have great endurance and superb comic timing. A commanding standard-British dialect is required.
- ANNABELLE SCHMIDT/PAMELA/MARGARET: (age range 25-35, all ethnicities) This is the only scripted female role in the show. The role calls for multiple dialects. The actor must play a paranoid German spy, a lower-class Scottish farmer’s wife, and the upper class, British romantic, lead of the show. All three dialects will be required. She is the spunky, independent, and beautiful young British heroine. Must have excellent comic timing and great versatility.
- MAN #1: (age range 20-50, all ethnicities) This role calls for exceptional physical and verbal comic ability. Must be able to provide multiple European dialect as the actor plays multiple characters, sometimes simultaneously. Must be highly athletic with great endurance and focus.
- MAN #2: (age range 20-50, all ethnicities ) This role also calls for exceptional physical and verbal comic ability. Must be able to provide multiple European dialect as the actor plays multiple characters, sometimes simultaneously. Must be highly athletic with great endurance and focus.
Auditions for The 39 Steps are by appointment on Saturday, March 22, 2014. Call 503-635-3901 to schedule an appointment.
Want to receive email alerts about auditions? Click here to sign up for our email list.