Lakewood Theatre Company
Sept. 25 & 26, 2021 - Auditions for Elf the Musical JR.
Lakewood Theatre Company will be having open auditions for ELF THE MUSICAL JR. Saturday, September 25, and Sunday, September 26, 2021. Actors may sign up for auditions online.
Audition Dates: Saturday, September 25 & Sunday, September 26, 2021, by appointment. Callbacks, if needed, will be held on Monday, September 27th, 5:30 pm-8:30 pm
ACTORS NEEDED: The directors are casting actors ages 9 – 18. All roles are open. In its casting Lakewood Theatre Company encourages diversity of any race/ethnicity, disability, and/or gender/gender identity.
LOCATION: Lakewood Center for the Arts (368 S. State Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034).
ELF THE MUSICAL JR. will be directed by Sara Kennedy Adams. It will be choreographed by Eve Brindis and music direction will be by Caitlin Brooke. The Stage Manager is Emma Stewart and costumes will be designed by Dorian Schlientz.
CLICK HERE to sign up to schedule an appointment time. Call 503-635-3901 if you need assistance with sign-up or if any special accommodation is needed for your audition.
Performance Schedule: Elf the Musical JR. runs Saturdays, December 11th & 18th at 2:00 pm. Lakewood Theatre Company features an intimate 220-seat theatre located at Lakewood Center for the Arts, 368 S. State Street in Lake Oswego.
About the Musical
A title familiar the world over, Elf The Musical JR. is easily becoming an annual Holiday tradition. Based on the cherished 2003 New Line Cinema movie hit, Elf. The stage production features songs by Tony Award nominees Matthew Sklar (The Wedding Singer) and Chad Beguelin (Disney's Aladdin on Broadway), with a book by Tony Award winners Thomas Meehan (Annie, The Producers, Hairspray) and Bob Martin (The Drowsy Chaperone).
Buddy, a young orphan, mistakenly crawls into Santa's bag of gifts and is transported to the North Pole. The would-be elf is raised, unaware that he is actually a human until his enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth. With Santa's permission, Buddy embarks on a journey to New York City to find his birth father and discover his true identity. Faced with the harsh realities that his father is on the naughty list and his half-brother doesn't even believe in Santa, Buddy is determined to win over his new family and help New York remember the true meaning of Christmas.
Sign up with our audition form page to schedule an appointment time.
HEALTH AND SAFETY UPDATE TO ELF AUDITIONS
We're committed to the health and safety of ALL members of our community—theatre employees, artists, production staff, cast, young performers, and audience members. To ensure the safety of everyone in the Elf JR production, all cast members who are age 12 or older, must be **fully vaccinated in order to participate. Cast members aged 9-11 may participate as long as their parent or guardian is **fully vaccinated. Masks are required indoors regardless of vaccination status, at the discretion of the auditor, and if the cast member exhibits any symptoms, we ask them to stay home and get tested for COVID-19 before returning to rehearsal.
At the Audition: You will be asked to verify you have been vaccinated when checking in for your audition. Proof of vaccination must be presented by showing the actor's, or if aged 9-11, your guardian's vaccination card in physical form or as a photo on your phone at the time of your audition. Read our full policy measures as they are updated on our website.
Lakewood has installed a new UV-C air purification system to continuously sanitize the theatre and rooms at Lakewood. In addition, all ventilation systems have been upgraded to MERV 13.
We are working hard to ensure a safe environment for performers, artists, and audiences alike. Social distancing protocols and guidelines will be followed and/or amended as required.
OUR GOAL IS TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE - THANK YOU FOR COMPLYING!
*“Fully vaccinated,” as defined by the CDC, is more than 14 calendar days following receipt of a final dose of an FDA or World Health Organization authorized or approved vaccine. For the purposes of this document, “fully vaccinated” further means that all participants in the production of Elf and everyone that interacts with them will be fully vaccinated.
- 1. Please review the schedule and mandatory rehearsals before you secure an audition appointment online. Be sure to list all conflicts between October 16 – December 18, 2021. Conflicts not listed at the time of the audition may not be honored.
Rehearsal Schedule plus Mandatory listed below, subject to change
Saturdays, Oct 16 - Nov 20 (2:15 pm - 6:30 pm)
Mondays, Nov 8, 15, 22, 29 (5:30-8:30 pm)
Wednesdays, Oct 20 & 27, Nov 10 (5:30-8:30 pm)
No rehearsal Tues Nov 23 – Sat Nov 27
MANDATORY DRESS/TECH REHEARSALS/PERFORMANCES: please do not audition if not available
- Sunday, November 28 - Review and Run (5:30-8:30 pm)
- Monday, November 29 - Full Run (5:30-8:30 pm)
- Tuesday, November 30 - Full Run (5:30-8:30 pm)
- Wednesday, December 1 - TECH (5:30-8:30 pm)
- Saturday, December 4 – Dress (10 am-12:30 pm)
- Sunday, December 5 – Dress (5:30-8:30 pm)
- Monday, December 6 – Dress (5:30-8:30 pm)
- Tuesday, December 7 – Dress (5:30-8:30 pm)
- Saturday, December 11 – Pick up dress – 10:30 am, PERFORMANCE @ 2:00 pm
- Saturday, December 18 – Pick up dress – 10:30 am, PERFORMANCE @ 2:00 pm
- 2. Please bring a hard copy of BOTH a resume (these will NOT be returned, should include the guardian contact email address and cell phone) and a headshot (school photos are fine as long as it is current and looks like the actor) to your audition appointment. Conflicts not listed at the time of the audition may not be honored.
- 3. Please bring your COVID-19 vaccination card or medical or religious exemption form
Please learn and be ready to sing the audition cuts provided to BOTH World’s Greatest Dad as well as Never Fall in Love with an Elf. You may choose which song to present at the time of your audition (include which song you will sing in your introduction/slate) however you MAY be asked to sing the other song as well. Both the vocal guidance track and the instrumental (karaoke) track are provided. The karaoke track will be provided/cued/amplified at auditions. Please, no a cappella singing or singing of songs not in the audition folder. Also note: you may be asked to sing from the score at the audition or to stay/return for callbacks. Callbacks, if needed, will be held on Monday, September 27th, 5:30 pm-8:30 pm.
We are seeking intermediate/advanced tap dancers, though this is not required to be considered. Jazz dancing is required to be considered for the chorus dance/ musical numbers, but not all titled roles are required to dance. Please watch and prepare the dance combo provided in the GOOGLE DRIVE ELF JR AUDITION FOLDER even if you do not consider yourself a dancer. WE WANT TO SEE EVERYONE WHO IS AUDITIONING TO DANCE THIS COMBO.
- Look your best. Bring a headshot and resume that includes a guardian contact email and phone. School photos are fine as long as the photo is current.
- Vaccination card to verify. (can be on your phone)
- Arrive early for your audition and check-in.
- When it’s your time, find your X, introduce yourself and the song you want to sing, music will start, sing. Then we will see you dance. We may ask for another song or ask you questions to get to know you better. Smile and say thank you!
The directors are casting actors ages 9 – 18. All roles are open. In its casting Lakewood Theatre Company encourages diversity of any race/ethnicity, disability, and/or gender/gender identity.
- Santa Claus – Santa tries to maintain his image as “Jolly St. Nick,” who manages to travel the world and distribute millions of toys every Christmas. Unfortunately, Santa is also upset about the Elves’ work ethic and humans’ declining Christmas spirit.
- Buddy – A human who’s been raised at the North Pole since infancy. He thinks he’s an elf-like most of the residents, but soon learns he’s a human.
- Walter Hobbs – Buddy’s biological father, he’s also dad to Michael and husband to Emily. He is job-obsessed to the point of ignoring his family.
- Emily Hobbs – Walter’s wife and Michael’s mother; Emily tries to keep her family going through Walter’s job stresses.
- Michael Hobbs – the 12-year-old son of Walter and Emily. He is very smart. Michael enthusiastically welcomes Buddy to his family.
- Jovie – A young woman working as a Santa’s Helper in Macy’s department store, she’s not quite elf-like, but Buddy falls in love with her anyway.
- Elves #1 - #5 – Employees in Santa’s workshop.
- Charlie – the foreman/boss of Santa’s Toy Workshop.
- Shawanda – a responsible elf who has to pick up Buddy’s slack when he can’t work fast enough.
- Deb – Walter’s optimistic and efficient secretary.
- Police #1 and 2 – Friendly NYPD officers who help out a lost Buddy.
- Mr. Greenway - Walter’s boss who has a commanding and cranky presence.
- Sam, Sarah, Chadwick & Matthews - Employees at Walter’s office.
- Charlotte Dennon – TV reporter with a very “professional” attitude.
- Darlene Lambert – The young lady who becomes convinced by Buddy’s insistence about Santa’s magic.
- Emma Van Brocklin – The young lady who becomes convinced by Buddy’s insistence about Santa’s magic.
- Security Guard #1 and #2 – Tough employees at Walter’s office.
- Salesperson – a bit pushy and overly friendly Macy’s employee.
- Manager – Macy’s employee.
- Santa's Helper – Macy’s employee who announces when each kid in line gets to visit Santa.
- Fake Santa – This is the Macy’s-employed Santa who does not quite live up to the real thing.
- Elf CHORUS
- Dance CHORUS