Lakewood Theatre Company
Auditions: Mame, October 26 & 27, 2014 - by appointment
Auditions for the musical Mame, are by appointment on SUNDAY, OCTOBER 26, & MONDAY, OCTOBER. 27, 2014. Call 503-635-3901 to reserve an audition slot.
Location: Lakewood Theatre Company 368 S. State Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034. Call 503-635-3901 to schedule an appointment.
Mame, is directed by Jeffrey Stocker and musical direction is by Darcy White.
The director is casting 20 parts (ages 20s-60s). These include 10 featured characters (4 male and 6 females 20s-60s) plus an ensemble of 10 (5 men and 5 women ages 20-40) who play various roles. All ethnicities are encouraged to audition. All roles are open for audition and all receive remuneration.
- Please bring a current headshot and a resume.
- Prepare a a Broadway song in the correct key for your voice (no contemporary, pop, rock, Andrew Lloyd Webber or Sondheim). An accompanist will be provided. Please, no recorded music or a cappella singing. No prepared monologue is required. Callbacks, if needed, will be at the director's discretion.
- Note: actors auditioning for Young Patrick are requested to schedule an appointment for the morning of Sun. October 26.
- Bring your calendar and be prepared to list all conflicts. Conflicts not listed at time of audition may not be honored.
- Mame opens May 1, 2015 and continues through June 14, 2015. Performances are Thurs-Sat at 7:30 PM, Sundays at 2:00 and 7:00 PM, one Saturday at 2:00 PM and two Wednesday evening performances at 7:30 PM. Lakewood Theatre Company features an intimate 220-seat theatre located at Lakewood Center for the Arts, 368 S. State Street in Lake Oswego.
ABOUT THE PLAY
Mame is a highly successful Broadway musical, based on the novel Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis. It originally opened at the Winter Garden Theater in New York City in 1966 with Angela Lansbury, and ran for 1,508 performances. It was nominated for 9 Tony Awards, winning 4. The musical’s book was written by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee and was adapted from their play Auntie Mame, based on Dennis' novel. The musical score for Mame (both music and lyrics) was written by Jerry Herman, who also wrote the scores for Hello, Dolly! and La Cage aux Folles.
The story: The plot revolves around eccentric Mame Dennis, whose madcap life is disrupted when her deceased brother's son Patrick is entrusted to her care. Rather than bow to convention, Mame introduces the boy to her free-wheeling lifestyle, instilling in him her favorite credo – “Life is a banquet, and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death.” Mame eventually meets and marries Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside, a southern aristocrat with a Georgia plantation called Peckerwood. Young Patrick goes off to boarding school, and Mame and Beau travel the world on an endless honeymoon. The honeymoon ends when Beau falls off an Alp, and Mame returns home to find Patrick engaged to an empty-headed debutante. Mame brings Patrick to his senses in time, and introduces him to the woman who will eventually become his wife.
Breakdown of Roles:
Please note: All ethnicities are encouraged to audition. All roles are open and all receive remuneration. Some singing and dancing experience preferred for entire cast. All ages approximate, depending upon other casting.
- Patrick (Mame‘s nephew), age 8-13, tenor/baritone. (Note: auditioners for this role are requested to come in the morning of Sun. Oct. 26).
- Mame (a free spirited woman), 30-55, mezzo.
- Agnes Gooch (Patrick‘s nanny), 20-45, soprano.
- Dwight Babcock (stuffy lawyer), 40-65, no set range.
- Vera (a famous Broadway star and best friend of Mame), 30-55, alto
- Ito (Asian houseboy to Mame), 20-30s.…baritone
- Mother Burnside (Beau‘s very southern mother)….45-80, soprano, southern accent.
- Sally Cato (Southern belle), 20-45, mezzo, southern accent
- Beauregard Burnside (handsome southern gentleman)…..30-55, baritone, southern accent.
- Gloria Upson (Wasp conservative girlfriend of Patrick),18-30, no set range.
- Older Patrick (Patrick as he matures),18-30, baritone.
- Pegeen Ryan (interior decorator to Mame), 18-30, no set range.
- Mr. Upson (Wasp conservative….very New England, 30s-50s, no set range.
- Mrs. Upson (Wasp conservative), 30s-50s, no set range.
- Ensemble (20s-40s) play a variety of other roles
Rehearsals begin Saturday March 14th at 2:00 PM
Complete schedule given to cast at first rehearsal.
Note: The role of young Patrick will audition on the morning of Sun. Oct. 26.
Auditions for Mame are by appointment. Call 503-635-3901 to schedule an appointment.
Want to receive email alerts about auditions? Click here to sign up for our email list.