Lakewood Theatre Company
Auditions: Three Men on a Horse, Sept. 27 & 29, 2014 - by appointment
Auditions for the comedy Three Men on a Horse by John Cecil Holm and George Abbott, are by appointment on SATURDAY, SEPT. 27, & MONDAY, SEPT. 29, 2014. Call 503-635-3901 beginning Wednesday, August 13, 2014 to reserve an audition slot.
Location: Lakewood Theatre Company 368 S. State Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034. Call 503-635-3901 to schedule an appointment.
Three Men on a Horse, is directed by Michael Griggs.
The director is seeking nine men (ages mid-20s to 50s) and four women (ages mid-20s to early 40s). All ethnicities are encouraged to audition. All roles receive remuneration..
- Please bring a current headshot and a resume.
- No prepared monologue is required. Auditions will consist of readings from the script. Callbacks, if needed, will be at the director's discretion.
- Bring your calendar and be prepared to list all conflicts. Conflicts not listed at time of audition may not be honored.
- Three Men on a Horse opens March 6, 2015 and runs through April 12, 2015. Rehearsals begin on or about January 18, 2015. Performances are Thurs. – Sat. at 7:30 PM, some Sundays at 7:00 PM, some Sunday matinees at 2:00 PM and two Wednesday performances at 7:30 PM. Lakewood Theatre Company features an intimate 220-seat theatre located at Lakewood Center for the Arts, 368 S. State Street in Lake Oswego.
ABOUT THE PLAY
Three Men on a Horse is a screwball comedy set in New York and suburban New Jersey in the early 1930s, featuring vibrant comic characters. The play, written by John Cecil Holm and George Abbott, premiered in 1935, has been revived on Broadway several times and made into films, seen on television, and adapted as a musical.
The story: Mild-mannered Erwin Trowbridge, bored with his suburban New Jersey life with his wife and brother-in-law and frustrated by his low-paying job writing greeting card verses, decides to declare his independence by skipping work and spending the day in a local saloon. There he meets three men and a woman who make a living by betting on horse races. When they discover Erwin has an almost supernatural ability to go through a racing form and pick the winners, they persuade him to join them at a New York City hotel and regularly give them tips. Complications arise when Erwin begins to miss his wife and job and his cronies insist he put some money on a horse himself, despite his claim he will lose his power if he places a bet.
Breakdown of Roles:
Please note: the parts of Patsy and Mr. Carver are pre-cast. All other roles are open and all receive remuneration. Some double casting possible with smaller roles. All roles as listed are open and all receive remuneration.
- Erwin Trowbridge – Mid-20s, slightly built. Recently married, he works as writer of greeting card verses. Handicaps horses as a hobby, and nearly always picks the winners, but never bets on the races.
- Clarence Dobbins – Late 20s – early 30s. Erwin’s brother-in-law, a would-be businessman and the developer of tract housing in Ozone Heights, New Jersey. Protective of his sister, Audrey,
- Harry – 30s-50s. Bartender at the Lavillere Hotel, Manhattan. Friendly guy who wishes he had a better job, or a similar job at a better hotel.
- Charlie – 30s-50s. Small time gambler who plays the horses, down on his luck. A large man, resident at the Lavillere Hotel, works with Frankie and Patsy.
- Frankie – 30s-50s. Another small time gambler, pals with Charlie and Patsy and in the same predicament. Much shorter than Charlie.
- Moses – 20s-50s. African-American elevator operator at the Lavillere Hotel. Plays the numbers.
- Al – 20s-40s. Newspaper photographer with the Newark Gazette. Possibly doubled with another role.
- The Tailor – Any age, small part, may be doubled.
- Delivery Boy – Late teens, early 20s. Small part, may be doubled.
- Audrey Trowbridge – Mid-20s, married to Erwin, and Clarence is her brother. An aspiring suburban housewife, devoted to her husband.
- Mabel – Late 20s-early 40s. Former Follies dancer, the girlfriend of Patsy, leader of the gamblers.
- Gloria – Late 20s-30s. Tough as nails reporter for the Newark Gazette.
- Hotel Maid – 20s-30s. Swedish. Small part, could be doubled with Gloria.
Note: No children are being seen at this audition.
Auditions for Three Men on a Horse are by appointment. Call 503-635-3901 beginning Wednesday, August 13, 2014 to schedule an appointment.
Want to receive email alerts about auditions? Click here to sign up for our email list.